Web Developer with 16 years experience in:
- Developing websites and web-based applications of enterprise sized clients;
- Creating rich, user-focused, web interfaces with ease of use in mind;
- incorporating usability evaluation in iterative development;
- Designing information architectures.
Web Developer Hunted Media Jul 2011 – Apr 2012
- Complete rewrite of the We Are Hunted website frontend. (wearehunted.com)
- Front end coding of magazine style layout The Global Mail (theglobalmail.org)
- Developed We Are Hunted WinAmp application (embedded Internet Explorer)
- Produced fast turn-around, functional prototypes for various internal and external projects, solving problems of layout and interactivity.
Senior Web Developer JSA Massmedia Aug 2007 – Jun 2011
- Specified, Designed and developed a product specification tool for Lumascape to work across over 70 products each with potentially thousands of configurations. (lumascape.com.au)
- Developed rich ecommerce frontends for Super Amart and Betta Electrical.
- Established a library of custom jQuery plug-ins and HTML/CSS templates to be used by the company. Trained other developers in their use.
- Developed a jQuery based Flipbook product.
- Scripted touch interface kiosks for Brisbane City Council and the West Australian Parliament. Developed a fully featured administration interface in Flash and XML.
- Mentored junior web developers.
Web Application Developer CRM Chefs Apr 2006 – Aug 2007
Worked independently with many clients gathering business requirements and providing web 2.0 solutions.
- Designed and built the website for the New Zealand national real estate chain Harveys (harveys.co.nz), servicing 50 branches and 5000 users per day.
- Prototyped a video messaging service for Command Open Line (commandopenline.com) using Flash Media Server within an AJAX driven interface.
- Customised Microsoft CRM 3.0 using both inbuilt editing tools and low level DOM manipulation to meet clients’ business needs.
- Recorded personalised training material for all clients.
User Interface Designer Department of Child Safety (Qld) Dec 2006 – Apr 2006
Interface designer responsible for graphic, interface and interaction design and implementation on the Integrated Child Management System web application.
- Designed visual identity and graphics for all system interfaces of the project
- Documented system requirements through requirements gathering, workflow design, wireframes and screen mock-ups
User Interface Designer Data#3 Limited Nov 2003 - Dec 2005
In-house usability and information design expert for the Microsoft Applications Solutions department responsible for establishing and implementing interface design and usability services.
- Designed user interfaces for websites and web-based applications of enterprise sized clients including Microsoft Australia, Department of Premier and Cabinet, Legal Aid Queensland, RACQ Insurance, Comalco, Logan and Beaudesert Shire Councils
- Approved all user interfaces and visual designs produced by a 15 person department, maintaining recognised high standards
- Assessed and documented usability, information and business requirements working directly with clients and as part of a development team
- Managed 3 subcontracting graphic designers on simultaneous projects including producing design briefs
- Systemised usability evaluation tools including heuristic evaluation, task frequency analysis, card sorting and user profiling creating new service offerings for the department
Web Developer f5 Pty Ltd Jul 1997 - Nov 2003
Joined as a web developer and promoted to user interface specialist with an emphasis on usability.
- Created user interfaces for Brisbane International Film Festival 2001 and 2002 allowing users to build personalised festival schedules, share film invitations through SMS and obtain schedules by PDA
- Designed and developed websites and web applications for clients such as Onetest, RACQ, Royal Australian Navy, Comalco, Queensland State Government, Chevron, Queensland Law Society
- Conceived administrative interfaces for and implemented client sites in f5's Freedom web content management system.
- Standardised interface code produced in the department leading to significant development efficiency improvements for the department
- Championed user-centred design and web standards
Web Developer Sam.com.au Aug 1996 - Apr 1997
Conceived visual design and application plan as well as managed sub-contractors as sole employee for web start-up.
Expert user of Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Fireworks and Microsoft Office. Skilled user of Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash, and other design and development tools.
Conversant with web standards and cross-browser compatibility issues.
Bachelor of Design Studies University of Queensland Jun 1996
- Playing and designing board games (especially "German-style" games)
- Reading science fiction and philosophy